Online counseling or teletherapy is a great way to provide therapy and counseling services for many different reasons. Just think about the ease of having a therapy session without leaving the house. It also increases privacy because you know no one will see you in a waiting room or walking into a clinic. It is also important to mention that you save time and travel expenses.
Some people are leery of online counseling and would rather make office visits. I invite you to give it a try and see how you like it.
Tips for bettering your online therapy session:
- Treat this session the same as you would if you were in my office.
- Put the appointment on your calendar so it is not a surprise when I call you! (this happens far too often)
- Make sure you are in a quiet place, which is free from distractions.
- Don’t drive and talk!
- Keep yourself focused during the discussion…don’t try to do housework or surf the web.
- Give yourself 30 minutes before and after the session to think about our discussion.
- If you disagree with something I say, speak your mind! The last thing I want is for you to just quit talking with me because you are upset. Who knows, maybe I misheard you, which caused my response to be wrong.
- Remember that some body language is missed over online therapy, so please don’t be afraid to be more verbally expressive.
- Be sure that you’re using the most up-to-date version of operating system for your computer or mobile device.
- Your newest mobile device will provide the best quality. A smartphone usually works better than a computer.
- Connect to a strong, private WiFi signal.
- Please use headphones so that you can avoid voice echo during your session and so I can hear you better.
- Resting/mounting your device on something solid will make the session more pleasant for you and me 🙂
- No private place? Your car is often a fantastic option!